How does a home carer work, cost and what can they do to help you in your own home?
A paid carer come to your home and can really make a huge difference to your life, and as strange as it sounds, it can be liberating/life changing to you and those around you, especially if you have difficulty walking or getting around. It can help you stay living independently in your own home and feel better all round.
This type of care is known as homecare or domiciliary care or sometimes home help.
How much does a home carer cost?
In the UK a paid carer costs around £20 an hour, but it varies according to where you live. Sometimes, the council will contribute to the cost.
Homecare is very flexible. You might need a paid carer for only an hour a week or for several hours a day. Some people opt for a live-in carer. All depending on your requirements. It can be temporary – for example for a few weeks while you recover from an illness or after a stay in hospital. Or it can be long term.
When should I consider help at home from a paid carer?
You might want to consider care at home if:
- you’re finding it difficult to cope with daily routines, such as washing, dressing and getting out and about
- you do not want to move into a care home
- you can still get about your home and it’s safe for you to live in – or it can be adapted to make it safe
How can homecare help me?
A paid carer can visit you at home to help you with all kinds of things including:
- getting out of bed in the morning
- washing and dressing
- brushing your hair
- using the toilet
- preparing meals and drinks
- help to remind you to take your medicines
- collecting your shopping
- collecting prescriptions
- getting settled in the evening and ready for bed
How to get help at home from a paid carer
- your local council can arrange homecare for you if you’re eligible for it
- you can arrange your own homecare
We hope you find this article helpful. We have many customers who have home carers from relatives, live in carers and part time helpers so we know how important this is to many families in the UK and to people who wish to remain in their own home.
Here at Bespoke Bathing, we’re proud to offer a range of equipment, including walk-in showers, walk-in baths, wet rooms and mobility showers. You don’t have to compromise on beauty or practicality when you choose a bathroom from Bespoke Bathing and we serve customers throughout England, Scotland and Wales.
For more information about our bathroom solutions or to discuss your requirements, don’t hesitate to give us a call today or contact us